Seven Heavens is a part of religious cosmology found in many major religions such as Islam, Judaism and Hinduism and in some minor religions such as Hermeticism and Gnosticism. The Throne of God is said to be above the seventh heaven in Abrahamic religions.
Above the skies, in popular conception, were the celestial heavens, the abode of God and of the hosts of angels...though it was recognized that Yahweh's presence was not confined to any region. Later Judaism reckoned Seven Heavens. The apostle Paul speaks of himself as caught up into "the third heaven," which he evidently identifies with Paradise (2 Corinthians 12:2).
It is believed that the origin of this goes back to astrology. Ancient astrologers could identify seven great heavenly objects and assumed each was floating in a separate heaven. The number 7 in Biblical references symbolically represented perfect completion, as in the seven-day week, the seven eyes and horns seen on the Lamb of God in The Book of Revelation, and the seventh in the generations of Adam: Lamech who was completely wicked, and Enoch who walked with God.Islamic scholar Ibn Kathir stated in his Tafsir that the seven heavens contained the moon, Mercury, Venus, the Sun, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn in that order, confirming the origin of the belief. The number also has a significance in Quranic numerology.
According to the Talmud, the universe is made of seven heavens (Shamayim; ouranoi)
1 - Vilon (וילון), Also see (Isa 40:22) also called "Araphel" see Even-Shushan dictionary
2 - Raqia (רקיע), Also see (Gen 1:17)
3 - Shehaqim (שחקים), See (Ps 78:23, Midr. Teh. to Ps. xix. 7)
4 - Zebul (זבול), See (Isa 63:15, I Kings 8:13)
5 - Ma'on (מעון), See (Deut 26:15, Ps 42:9)
6 - Makhon (מכון), See (1 Kings 7:30, Deut 28:12)
7 - Araboth (ערבות), See (Ps 68:4 The seventh Heaven where ofanim, the seraphim, and the hayyoth and the throne of the Lord are located).
The Jewish Merkavah and Heichalot literature was devoted to discussing the details of these heavens, sometimes in connection with traditions relating to Enoch, such as the Third Book of Enoch.
According to Shi'ite sources, a hadith from Imam Ali mentions the name of the seven heavens (“ss-samawat”); as mentioned below:
1 - Rafi' (رفیع) the least heaven (سماء الدنیا)
2 - Qaydum (قیدوم)
3 - Marum (ماروم)
4 - Arfalun (أرفلون)
5 - Hay'oun (هيعون)
6 - Arous (عروس)
7 - Ajma' (عجماء)
There are seven exalted Throne Angels, which execute the commands of Potestates, viz: 1. Ophaniei. 2. Tychagara. 3. Barael. 4. Quelamia. 5. Ana- zimur. 6. Paschar. 7. Boel.
The Planets have Seven Heights and Seven Angels
The heights are named as follows: 1. Samaym. 2. Raaquin. 3. Taaquin. 4. Machonon. 5. Mathey. 6. Sebul. 7. Arabat. Of the operations of these, and their angels, office, order, number and measure, an account may be found in a work by Rasiel, which constitutes the Sixth Book Physicum Salomonis and Elementia Magica Petri de Alano, page 574. From this book of the angel Tractatu takes its source. (2 Cornel. Agrippa, Lib. 3, page 24; Philosophiae Occul, 377, 575.)
These are named with the name of god, through which they were created, belong to the first heaven. SCHAMAYM GABRIEL.
- The second heaven, Raaquinae, has twelve lords, or twelve heights of angels, who are placed over all. Zachariel, Raphael.
- The third heaven, Saaquin, has three princes, Jabniel, Rabacyel, Dalquiel; they rule over fire, and each has his subordinate angel.
The principle prince of angels in this height in called Anahel, Avahel.
- The fourth heaven, Machon, by his angels leads the sun by day, and through other angels by night. The chief angel is called Michael.
- The fifth heaven, Matthey, aly Machon, has the prince Samel who is served by two millions of angels. These are divided among the four
quarters of the world; in each quarter three, who control the twelve months, and over these are twelve chief angels.
- The sixth heaven, Zebul, has for its prince, Zachiel, with two millions of angels. The angel Zebul is placed over these during the day,
and another angel, Sabath, during the night. They rule over kings, create fear, and give protection from enemies.
- Arabath, the seventh heaven, has for its prince the angel Cassiel.
The names of the seven planets are as follows:
Zaphiel (Saturn), Zadkiel (Jupiter), Camael (Mars), Raphael (Sun), Haniel (Venus), Michael (Mercury), Gabriel (Moon).
There are seven princes who stand continually before God, to whom are given the spirit-names of the planets.
They are called Sabathiel, Zedekiel, Madimiel, Semeliel, or Semishia, Noahel, Coahabiath or Cochabiel, Jareahel or Jevanael,
for the planets are called for themselves:
- Sabachay, through which God sends hunger and tribulation upon the earth.
- Sodeck, through him come honor and favor, right and holiness of man.
- Modym, through him wrath, hate, lies, and war.
- Hamnia, from him comes light, and the power of distinguishing between time and life.
- Noga, from him food and drink, love and consolation.
- Cochab, from him proceeds all trade and commerce.
- Lavahan, causes al things to increase and decrease.
I, Solomon, acknowledge that in the hours Sabachay Madym it is burdensome to labor, but in the hours Zadeck and Noga labor is light. During other hours labor is middling, sometimes good and occasionally bad. (The Sixth and Seventh Book of Moses, pg. 136-138)Over this there are twenty-eight angels who rule over the twenty-eight houses of the moon, vis:
Asariel, Cabiel, Dirachiel, Scheliel, Amnodiel, Amixiel, Ardesiel, Neriel, Abdizriel, Jazeriel, Congediel, Ataliel, Azerniel, Adriel, Amutiel, Iciriel, Bethuael, Geliel, Requiel, Abrunael, Aziel, Tag- ried, Abheiel, Amnixiel.
And each moon has her own guardian and ruler, and these are described in Lib. 2, Razielis. A man must also know how to divide the months, days and hours into four parts, for God has ordained that all things can best be perfected on suitable days and at proper hours.
The angels placed over the four parts of heaven are:
Scamijm, Gabriel, Cabrael, Adrael, Madiel, Boamiel. Alscius, Loquel, Zaniel, Hubaiel, Baccanael, Janael, Carpatiel. Elael, Unael, Walllum, Vasans, Hiaijel, Usera, Staijel. Ducaniel, Baabiel, Barquiel, Hannu, Anael Nahijmel.
In the second heaven, Raquie, the following angels serve. Nathan, Catroije, Betaabat. Yeseraije, Yuacon: Thiel, Jareael, Yanael, Venetal, Vebol, Abuionij, Vetameil. Milliel, Nelepa, Baliel, Calliel, Holij, Batij, Jeli.
- In the third heaven, Saaquin, the Angels are: Sarquiel, Quadissu, Caraniel, Tariescorat, Amael, Hussael. Turiel, Coniel, Babiel, Kadie, Matiel, Hufaltiel. Faniel, Peneal, Penac, Raphael, Carniel, Deramiel. Porna, Saditel, Kyniel, Samuel, Vascaniel, Famiel.
- In the fourth heaven, Machon, the Angel of the Divisions serves: Capriel, Beatiel, Baciel, Raguel, Altel, Fabriel, Vionatraba. Anahel, Papliel, Uslael, Burcat, Suceratos, Cababili.
- In the fifth heaven, Machijn, the following Angels serve in four divisions: Friagne, Cnael, Damoel, Calzas, Arragon. Lacana, Astrgna, Lobquin, Sonitas, Jael, Jasiael, Naei. Rahumiel, Jahijniel, Baijel, Seraphiel, Mathiel, Serael. Sacriell, Maineiel, Gadiel, Hosael, Vianiel, Erastiel.
- In the sixth heaven, Zebul, and seventh, Arabat, over the fifth heaven. (The Sixth and Seventh Book of Moses, pg. 139)
There are also, over the four quarters of the globe, four high angels. Over the morning winds,
Michael rules. Over the evening winds, Raphael rules. Over the midnight winds, Gabriel rules.. Over the noonday winds, Nariel or Uriel rules.
The Angels of The Elements are:
- Of the air, Cherub.
- Of the water, Tharsis.
- Of the earth, Ariel.
- Of the fire, Seruph or Nathaniel.
These are all great princes and each has many legions of angels under him; they have great power in governing their planets, times, signs of the year, month, day, and hour, and in their part of the world and wind.
The original figure has been draw by ASTERION. Entitled 'The Seven Heavens'.
La figure originale a été déssinée par ASTERION. intitulé 'Le septième Ciel'.
|Figure Copyright: by ASTERION / Tattoo by YOSH SPIDERDUST (Thx Bro' !).|
(NB: This posts is subject to be updated)
- ASTERION Mage.
- Various Websites..